At the Village Cafe, we strive to live up to our name by providing high quality, thoughtfully prepared food and drinks, along with a dining experience that we hope leaves every guest feeling like a “Villager.” With an array of both breakfast and lunch selections, freshly baked pastries and quiches, as well as daily and seasonal specials, our menu has been carefully crafted to highlight the fresh and locally sourced ingredients used by our chef. As part of our mission to provide the freshest products possible, we proudly serve Dark Horse Coffee, one of San Diego’s premier local coffee roasters.
We are open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. seven days a week (check for extended hours this holiday season) and feature live music in our dining room on the weekends. Our covered patio is always open so that our guests can enjoy eating and drinking in the beautiful climate of Southern California. We are a “dog friendly” establishment and we happily honor discounts for military, police/fire/EMS, and students.
Freshly Produced in House
- Muffins, Croissants, & Assorted Pastries
- Pies, Cakes, Quick Breads, & Loafs
- House Soup is Cream of Crab, reduced with champagne, thickened with melted Brie cheese with a dash of cayenne pepper.
- 2nd soup daily(often Gluten free and/or vegetarian but not guaranteed)
- From the Grill, fresh Salmon, NY strip, Chicken Breast and shrimp, all to top your salads. Three Crafted Salads, Viva Caesar, Popeye, and house tossed with 5 ingredients each all interchangeable
- Three Paninis daily The Green (grilled vegetarian) the Stallion, (Italian Cold Cuts) and The Chicken Pesto Mozzarella.
- House salsa made fresh
- 2 Quiche Daily, Vegetable, and Lorraine
- House whipped Butters
- Cooked to order bacon and house papas
About Our Chef
Chef Richard was born into a military family and traveled abroad extensively in his younger years before settling in Fairfax County, Virginia, near Washington, D.C. He took his first job at the Joshua Tree Restaurant in McLean, VA, and it soon became clear that food was something Richard wanted to pursue.
He later joined the Marriott Hotels chain, quickly moving up the ranks, becoming the youngest Executive Chef in the company. Within a year, Richard was awarded the Executive Chef of the Year for the Mid-Atlantic Region. After receiving this prestigious award, Richard was sent to France to continue his culinary education. He worked closely with Michelin star celebrity chef Roger Vergé in Cannes, France to study classical French cuisine, and then traveled north to Vonnas, France to study nouvelle cuisine with chef Georges Blanc, recipient of three Michelin stars.
After many years with Marriott, Richard joined Aramark Corporation and helped oversee the feeding of athletes, for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta. Four years later, he served on a five-person executive chef team that fed 50,000 people on a 24/7 basis at the 2000 Summer Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia. After settling in Georgia, Richard worked for two seasons as a chef for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League. He then relocated to San Diego, California, and joined his brothers Bill and Tom in opening the Village Café.
- Our avocados are sourced locally from West Pak Avocado in Murrieta, California.
- Our Fresh Greens—such as romaine, spinach, kale, and arugula—are California-grown through Cross Valley Farms.
- Our mushrooms and Portobello mushrooms are from local grower Monterey Mushrooms in Watsonville, California.
- We use Certified Angus Beef (CAB) and cured pastrami.
- Our grade AA large eggs are certified Kosher and sourced locally from Hickman’s Family Farms.
- Our fresh cheese, which is certified Kosher, is provided by Roseli authentic Italian cheeses.